Dimensions2.25 X 4 in.
Brown notepad with white paper. On the inside of the cover, there is an advertisement for Peoples State Bank. The ad reads "Compliments of Peoples State Bank Holland, Mich. Cordially invites your banking business".
The following history of the People's State bank comes from pages 1231-1233 of Robert Swierenga's bokk "Holland, Michigan: From Dutch Colony To Dynamic City".
"Peoples State Bank (later Old Kent Bank, then Fifth Third Bank), the city’s third bank, was established in 1905 by Arend Visscher, Bastian D. Keppel, John H. Kleinheksel, George P. Hummer, Walter C. Walsh, Cornelius (“C. J.”) Lokker, Douwe B. Yntema, Lane Van Putten, and Derk Te Roller. The principals, a veritable Who’s Who of Holland businessmen, raised the necessary $50,000 capital and erected a building at 29 East Eighth Street that opened two days before Christmas. The first officers of Peoples State Bank were Visscher as president; Keppel, vice president; John J. Rutgers, cashier, and Henry Winter, assistant cashier. Peoples Bank enjoyed steady growth in deposits, but it always stood in the shadow of its two bigger competitors. The bank deposits grew rapidly, from $87,000 in 1905 to $630,000 in 1915, and $3.3 million in 1930. Alex Van Zanten worked his way up from janitor in 1911 to director in 1930. The capital stock was increased to $100,000 in 1925 and $150,000 in 1929, and in 1927 the directors erected a new facility on the south side of the street, at 36-38 East Eighth.67 Control of all three banking institutions was in the same hands—the partners in the law office of Diekema, Kollen, & Ten Cate. Holland banking “resembled a plutocracy,” according to local business historian Steve Vander Veen."
Gift ofHoeksema, Ann Marie