Color photograph, on a postcard, showing the Hotel Macatawa in Macatawa Park, on Lake Macatawa. Note from donor: The postcard was taken while the Macatawa water Ski club was hosting a water ski championship between 1941 and 1947. Macatawa became known as the water ski headquarters, thanks to the Sligh family.
Items in accession 2020.13 focus on the history of Macatawa Park (in Park Township, a few miles southwest of Holland, MI) . They are from the collection of Art Tazelaar, gathered over the course of his lifetime. Art was born in Grand Rapids, MI in 1913 to John J. Tazelaar (1868–1957) and Gertrude C Lopperson (1880–1961).
The US Census shows that the Tazelaar family had moved to Macatawa Park by 1920. By 1940 (US Census), Art had begun working as the postmaster here, a position he held up to 1980. He also worked at a hardware store in Macatawa Park.
Art married Janet Virginia Wierda on 4-15-1941 in Grand Rapids, MI.
The Hotel Macatawa, built on Lake Macatawa (in Macatawa, MI) opened in 1895. Prior to its completion in 1895 there was a smaller hotel nearby that went by the name Macatawa Hotel. This smaller hotel burned ca. 1893.
The Hotel Macatawa changed management in 1945 when Simon Den Uyl purchased the resort property. Den Uyl then had the hotel redecorated.
A May 19, 1948 advertisement from the Holland Sentinel describes the Hotel Macatawa as "a modern hotel service, in a high class community". The ad goes on to say "Hotel Macatawa-is staffed for courteous service to a refined clientele-those who enjoy gracious living.". In 1946, there was room in the hotel for 250 guests.
Joe Bachunas owned the hotel after Simon. The final owner was Dick Den Uyl. It was Dick that made the decision to raze the Hotel Macatawa in 1956. He would later build the Point West Inn on the same location.
Gift ofGift of the Tazelaar family