Newspaper clipping from the Grand Rapids Press, 4-14-1995, about the change in ownership at Point West.
Items in accession 2020.13 focus on the history of Macatawa Park (in Park Township, a few miles southwest of Holland, MI) . They are from the collection of Art Tazelaar, gathered over the course of his lifetime. Art was born in Grand Rapids, MI in 1913 to John J. Tazelaar (1868–1957) and Gertrude C Lopperson (1880–1961).
The US Census shows that the Tazelaar family had moved to Macatawa Park by 1920. By 1940 (US Census), Art had begun working as the postmaster here, a position he held up to 1980. He also worked at a hardware store in Macatawa Park.
Art married Janet Virginia Wierda on 4-15-1941 in Grand Rapids, MI.
The Point West Inn was located on Lake Macatawa at the end of South Shore Drive in Macatawa Park, just south of Holland, MI. It was operated by Richard Den Uyl (1929-2011) from 1963 to 1986. The elegant restaurant faced Lake Macatawa. Den Uyl believed a happy work environment produced happy customers. This philosophy was a key to his success.
New owners bought the property in 1986 for $4.4 million. In 1993 they filed for bankruptcy which led to the sale of the property in 1994. This third owner had the Point West Inn torn down in 1995.
Gift ofGift of the Tazelaar family