Sunday school Christmas program, one page, December 19, 1948, Third Reformed Church.
Items in accession 2006.40 belonged to Phil Kimberley (1940-2011). Phil, the son of Walter and Helen Kimberley, grew up in Holland, MI.
As a child, he was a member of the Third Reformed Church in Holland and later attended Hope Church. Phil's career was in the retail and wholesale clothing industries. In retirement, Phil collected coins and served as a docent at the Holland Museum and Cappon House.
The Third Reformed Church, located at 111 West 13th Street in Holland, MI, was organized Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte on September 9, 1867. Van Raalte, pastor of the First Reformed Church, felt it was necessary to have a Reformed Church in the western part of the city. He even provided the land and congregation for the new church as members of the First Reformed Church who lived west of Market Street (now called Central Avenue) began attending Third Reformed. The "Third" was chosen as the name because a second congregation affiliated with the Reformed Church already existed in Holland. Hope Reformed Church, a non-immigrant English-speaking congregation, had been founded in 1862.
Third Reformed Church's first sanctuary was destroyed by the fire of 1871. A second sanctuary was demolished in a high wind on January 2, 1873. With the financial help of many donors in the East and the Middle West, the present structure was completed in November of 1874.