Find

negative

Catalog Number
2020.7.1
Date of Origin
9-30-1960
Description
Negative, scanned to create the digital photograph shown in this record.  This image from October 1960 shows four people standing on East 8th Street in Holland, MI, across the street from S.S. Kresge Company (12 East 8th).

Du Saar Photo Shop (10 East 8th) and the Music Center (8 East 8th) can be seen in the background. The four people are standing beside a campaign float for Wendell A. Miles.  Miles can be seen standing at far left.

This image was taken on Friday, 9-30-1960.  
History
Negatives in 2020.7 were taken by Holland Sentinel photographers. We continue to search the Sentinel for these images, hoping to identify the people and places shown in the collection. This collection was a gift to the Holland Museum from Randy Vande Water at some point between 1988 and 2002.

The image shown in this record was taken by Roger Snow, journalist and photographer for the Holland Sentinel. Roger A. Snow was born on 12-3-1934 in Zeeland, MI to Raymond and Evelyn Snow. Roger graduated from Zeeland High, the University of Michigan (1959) and Hope College (1963). He married Jean Holmen in Holland, MI on 6-22-1963. Roger worked for the Sentinel from about 1960 to 1966. He passed away on 1-25-2011 in Indiana.

The Holland Sentinel got its start in July of 1896 as the Holland Daily Sentinel. They were located on the 2nd floor of the McBride Building, on the southwest corner of River Ave and West 8th (Reader's World today). The founder was Rev. Nellis E. Klock (1831-1911).

Rev. Klock moved his newspaper ca. 1898 to 190 East 8th Street (1897-1898 Hollan city directory). Still known as the Holland Daily Sentinel it would remain at this location through 1905. Roland Eisley (1869-1940) became the newspaper's editor ca. 1899. By 1906 Eisley had moved the newspaper to 21 East 8th Street (1906 city directory). He continued to operate the newspaper through 1908.

By 1910 the newspaper was located at 179 River Ave. and Ben Van Raalte, Jr. (1876-1953) served as president. The Holland Daily Sentinel would remain here through 1928, the year Charles A. French (1853-1948) purchased the newspaper. That same year French changed the name to the Holland Evening Sentinel.

The year 1929 saw a change in location of the newspaper. On May 4, 1929 the Sentinel moved into its current home at 54-56 West 8th Street. The Charles A. French family operated the newspaper from 1928 to 1977.

In 1977 new ownership, Stauffer Communications, brought a change in how the newspaper was prepared. Since the 1920s linotype machines, metal print plate and hot lead were used. These were replaced by electronic typesetting machines, computers and plastic plates.
Gift of
Vande Water, Randy