Newsletter "Herrick Highlights, A Newsletter for patrons and supporters of the Herrick Public Library" dated Spring 1996.
Herrick Library was originally established as Holland Public Library ca. 1867 and housed on the second level of the Fire Engine House on East Eighth Street. In 1911, after City Hall was built on River Avenue the library moved into this facility. In 1960 Mr. & Mrs. Ray W. & Hazel Herrick donated money toward the library’s current River Avenue location. Ray and Hazel grew up in Holland. The first library board included Milton E Hinga, Mrs. Henry Steffens, Mrs. Hazel Hays, Hero Bratt, Clarence Grevengoed, Donald J. Thomas, Mrs. Preston Luidens. It was Hazel Hayes, City Librarian, who was instrumental with the vision of a larger library facility and establishing this new library for the residents of Holland Michigan.