Newspaper clipping from the Holland Sentinel on August, 9, 2000 picturing the Woman's Literary Club's Board of Directors for the 2000-2001 club season. From left to right: Muncie Boeve; Ellen Mast; Erma Vandenberg; Elaine Bruins; and, Carole Ruisard.
Formerly known as the Bay View Reading Circle (est.1894), the Woman's Literary Club officially began holding meetings in 1898. These all-female meetings not only reflected upon literature but also examined aesthetics, took part in social service, and actively practiced patriotism. According to Article 2 of their 1899-1900 constitution, the Woman's Literary Club states: "Believing that our happiness as individuals and our usefulness as citizens depends upon our intelligence, we, women of Holland, unite our efforts to further intellectual improvement, and to diffuse useful information."
Gift ofWoman's Literary Club