clipping, newspaper
clipping, newspaper

clipping, newspaper

Catalog Number
Newspaper clippings, three, glued to card stock. These clippings were on file for several decades at the Herrick Library, a part of their local history collection.  On the back of the cardstock a Herrick Library stamp is visible.  Above this stamp some dates are visible showing when the clippings were checked out by library patrons.

The clippings appeared in the Holland City News on October 6, 1938.  They are older than this however, written in 1897 and re-printed in 1938.  The subject is Holland's Semi-Centennial (1897) and Chief Simon Pokagon.  Pokagon is actually the author of one article.

It is worth noting that the language used in the clippings reflects life in the 1890s, when the articles were written.  The clippings are shared here because they are a part of Holland's history.
This item was once part of the Herrick Library's genealogical collection. It was available to library patrons for several decades. The collection consists of more than 2,500 booklets, brochures, newsletters, photographs, postcards, newspaper clippings, books and letters. In 2023 the Herrick Library donated their genealogical collection to the Holland Museum.

The first library in the area was a township library established in the 1850s, before Holland was incorporated as a city.  After incorporation in 1867 the township library donated books to the City of Holland for the formation of a city library.  For every 13 books kept by the township, 10 were given to the city (Holland Sentinel, 5-12-1976).

By 1888 Holland had established a city library in city hall (later the First Ward engine house) on east 8th Street (Holland City News, 3-24-1888). In 1893 a library board was established. 
By 1896 the Holland City Library held 3,000 volumes in their collection (1898 Holland city directory).  By 1901 the library had moved to the second floor of the YMCA at 25 west 8th and boasted a collection of 4,000 volumes (1901 city directory).  
As their collection of books grew so did the need for more space.  In 1911 the library returned to city hall, only this time they were in the new city hall building on River Avenue, on the spacious second floor.  By now the collection of books had grown to 7,176 (Holland Sentinel, May 1972).

It was librarian Hazel Hayes that first connected with Ray Herrick, writing him in 1958 expressing the needs of the crowded Holland City Library.  With a donation of $325,000 ground was broken on the new Herrick Library in 1959.  The new library was dedicated on 5-7-1960 (Holland Sentinel, May 1972).

The first librarian at the Holland City Library was Henry D. Post (1824-1897). He was followed by Rachel Day Sipp (1835-1916), Holland's first female librarian. The position was actually offered to Rachel's husband, George Sipp (1834-1896), who was also Holland's city clerk.  Rachel wanted the job and library official were reluctant to offer such an important position to a woman. So George accepted the position of librarian on the condition that Rachel be allowed to handle the librarian responsibilities, which she did.  Rachel served as librarian from about 1887 to 1897. 
Jennie Kanters (1866-1918) to over the job in 1897, replaced in 1918 by Dora Schermer (1896-1994).  Dora served as librarian until 1953, when Hazel Hayes took over.  By 1953 the library's collection contained 24,000 volumes.  Roger Walcott replaced Hazel in 1966 (Holland Sentinel, May 1972), he ran the library until 1979. Robert Sherwood operated the library from 1980 to 2002.

The Holland City News was established in 1872. It was located on the second floor of the building at 32 West 8th Street in Holland, MI (1897, 1924 and 1938 city directories).
Benjamin A. Mulder (1872-1947) served as manager for several decades (1908, 1938 city directories). By 1940 the Sentinel Printing Company had taken over ownership and publishing of the Holland City News. The Old News Printery moved into the space at 32 West 8th Street.
Gift of
Herrick Library