Wooden model of the original gymnasium and chapel at Hope College. The structure was built in 1862, and replaced by Carnegie in 1905. This building on Hope College's campus was the site of the first commencement in 1866, and many academic and college exercise classes. Used also as the college chapel. Original wood was used for the model by P.T. Phelps and presented to the College Museum. The roof of the model opens to represent the inside of the structure. There are several wooden benches, a pulpit, chairs, etc. inside. The inside items are from collection 1941.23.19.
"P.T. Phelps" refers to either Philip Phelps, Jr. or his son Philip Tertius Phelps.
Philip Phelps, Jr. was born in New York on July 12, 1826. By 1844 he had graduated from Union College (in New York). He the attended the New Brunswick Theological Seminary in New Brunswick, New Jersey, graduating in 1849.
In 1859 Phelps was appointed as the principal of the Holland Academy in Holland, MI. After the Civil War ended, Phelps helped Albertus C. Van Raalte create start Hope College. In 1866 Phelps was named the first president of Hope College, a position he held until 1878.
Phelps was married to Margaret Jordan. They had the following children: Frances Phelps Otte; Philip Tertius Phelps; Elizabeth Phelps; Edward Phelps; and, Theo Phelps.
In 1884, after the final Phelps child graduated from Hope, the family returned to New York. Philip Phelps, Jr. died on 9-4-1896.
Gift ofHolland Museum