Nurses uniform belonging to Rena Boven.
Rena Boven (1896-1957), for whom Holland Hospital's Boven Birth Center is named, was one of the first registered nurses at Holland's hospital on 12th Street. She would later become the Superintendent of Holland Hospital, followed by the Director of Nursing at Holland Hospital.
Members of the Holland Hospital Auxiliary voted to change their name to the Rena Boven Hospital Guild, so named in 1952 to honor Boven's career. Their reason being that Rena stood for "careful, conscientious and consecrated service to the hospital" (Holland Sentinel, 8-9-1952, page 4).
Rena lived at 94 W. 11th Street in Holland, MI. She was born to Hendrik Boven (1851–1924) and Sarah Lokker (1856-1927).
Gift ofKools, Mrs. William C. (Jo)